segunda-feira, 21 de setembro de 2009

Pidgin Portuguese

There are not many people who speak English in Brazil outside of the Airports and hotels, and with the possible exceptions of Foz de Iguaçu, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo there are not too many American tourists in the country. I've never encountered another American in Porto Alegre. If you go to Brazil and come to our wedding, you will probably need to try to speak some Portuguese, so lets get started:

The basics:

Hello: Oi (hi) and olá (hello, pronounced like 'hola' in Spanish, but with more emphasis on the last syllable)
Goodbye: Até logo, tchau ("chowe")
Thank you: Obrigado (if you are male), Obrigada (if you are female)
Coffee: Café
I would like a coffee: Eu gostaria de um café.
I would like a beer: Eu gostaria de uma cerveja.
I would like to go to this address: Eu quero ir para ese endereço.
I am an American / a foreigner: Eu sou Americano / extrangeiro
My name is: Meu nome é
Good morning, good afternoon, good night: bom dia, boa tarde, boa noite.

Here are some scans of a book with basic Portuese that may help:







Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário